Friday, August 24, 2007

Why dropouts are successful??

Some say it is a mere coincidence. Not many appreciate the close relation between the two.
At least from Indian perspective(Generally, I dont like to generalise but I think it holds true here), dropping out signifies failure and the likes of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs etc. are considered to be mere exceptions. You can find a list of such people here.

Having thought over it for sometime now, I think it is nothing but a causal relationship.

Have you ever wondered - Why did these people drop out?
Listen to Steve Jobs saying it himself

After six months, I couldn't see the value in it. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and no idea how college was going to help me figure it out. And here I was spending all of the money my parents had saved their entire life. So I decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out OK.
Gates although gives due credit to his stay at Harvard but dropped out to see his plan get into action.

Steve Woznaik also states similar reasons.
....
...

So it is apparent that these people dropped out for they could not see value in the educational system or the educational system could not fit into their action of plan.

Why do things where you cant find value-add? Why do all of it just for the sake of doing?
It is difficult to understand it unless you experience it yourself. Read this for a counter view.

Apparently I don't find value in the educational system these days and I am really thankful of the education system to make me understand all this through hands-on experience.

The goal is not to get out of the prison, but to get out in a way that enables you to stay out. Be patient. Think ahead. Getting free is not like walking through a magic doorway -- it's like growing a fruit tree. Source


PS: 1. I am not drawing comparisons with these greats but just found something I have in common with them.
2. Do not consider it as looking down upon our educational system, it is just my individual perspective. In short, Do not generalise.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites Digg! StumbleUpon Toolbar

Label Cloud